Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Goodbye to the print version of Boondocks!



Many of you know how much I love the newspaper version of Boondocks. I had heard rumors that the print version was being shut down in favor of the Cartoon Network version, and future book & movie deals.

Today I learned that the rumor is true. Happy freakin' Halloween....

Needless to say, I am saddened. The CN version is rarely timely or all that interesting. Book versions of the 'toon are fine, and remind me of the Calvin & Hobbes' series from years ago. (Or the Far Side, or Bloom County...pick your example, I miss them all.)

Producing a daily strip burns out great artists and social commentators. I'm sure Aaron McGruder is tapped out, just like Bill Watterson and Berke Brethed burned out years earlier from their great successes. Maybe in the future McGruder will return to his roots, like Brethed has with "Opus." I can only hope.

While progress happens, sometimes progress just sucks.

So, while I still have a chance to read the daily re-run in the paper, I will. But, those days seem pretty numbered.

I'm going to miss Riley, Huey, Granddad, the neighbors, and especially Ceasar.

Thanks for making my morning and weekend comics reading a highlight for these last couple of years, Aaron McGruder. I've appreciated the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home